The Reeks District
We would like to keep it a secret, but we really wanted to tell you…
Boots, bikes, boards, boats and body & mind… pick one of our Signature Experiences to recharge your batteries in some of Ireland’s most beautiful countryside where you can go from Blue Flag beaches on the Wild Atlantic Way to towering peaks in less than an hour.
From climbing the country’s highest mountain to paddling under star-filled skies – the Reeks District offers Ireland’s best outdoor experiences, all in one place. Why not take on the ultimate 2020 outdoor challenge The Big Five?
Home to one of Ireland’s oldest festivals, Puck Fair, as well as the country’s highest mountain, Carrauntoohil, the Reeks District is a land of contrasts to excite the most demanding visitor. From street festivals, traditional horse shows and live music in bustling pubs that provide a traditional Irish welcome… there’s more to the Reeks District than our, admittedly, great outdoors.
We offer amazing food festivals and cookery classes, street markets packed with local produce – an absolute gourmand’s delight! Sample succulent Cromane oysters straight from the ocean, taste Kerry lamb raised on our mountains, and let butter from our free-range cows melt in your mouth… Reeks District restaurants cater for every taste, with food sourced from our natural larder.
- Take a dip in the Lake before Breakfast.
- Enjoy a stroll around our beautiful Lakeside Gardens.
- Try a game of Lawn Croquet.
- Get ready for a catch as you fish on Caragh Lake.
- Take-in a stunning sunrise or sunset / or a tranquil kayak on the Lake.
- In the heart of the Reeks District enjoy a challenging Bohereen Loop Walk through Caragh up in to Glencar and back to Carrig.
- With our bike hire explore the back roads and trails of Caragh Lake, Glencar and our famous Mountain Passes – Ballagh Beama and Ballagh Óisín taking in Blackstones Bridge and Lickeen Woods.
- Relax with a lakeside pre-dinner drink at sunset!
The Top Twenty Things to See & Do Locally
- Fishing on Caragh Lake
- Walk around Caragh Lake taking in the Kerry Highlands of Glencar or enjoy the local section of The Kerry Way
- Cycle around Caragh Lake taking in the Kerry Highlands of Glencar
- Enjoy a Day of Adventure at Cappanalea Outdoor Education & Training Centre
- Canoeing, Kayaking, Sea Kayaking, Sailing, Windsurfing, Mountaineering, Rock Climbing & Orienteering
- A Round of Golf at Dooks, Killorglin or Waterville Golf Clubs
- Horse Riding on Rossbeigh Beach
- A Visit to the Kerry Bog Village – a fascinating insight into how people lived and worked on the Atlantic Coast of Ireland in the 18th. Century
- A day on the Beach – Rossbeigh, Dooks & Kells Bay
- Bird Watching
- Climb Carrantuohill – Ireland’s highest mountain
- Visit Local Artist Pauline Bewick’s Kerry Collection in Killorglin
- Experience the mystical magnificent Ballagh Beama and Ballagh Óisín Mountain Passes
- Visit Skellig Michael – a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of Kerry’s Signature Points for the Wild Atlantic Way
- Explore the Ring of Kerry and Wild Atlantic Way From Our Doorstep!